Blades of Avernum Scenario Design Contest
9-2-2005: Blades of Avernum Scenario Design Contest Winners - These are the winners of the scenario design contest! These fantastic adventures are available free to all owners of Blades of Avernum.
Blades of Avernum is an adventure that never ends. Anyone with
time and energy can create new adventures and share them with Avernum
fans all over the world. All you need is the Scenario Editor, which
can be downloaded from the Scenario
Spiderweb Software wants to reward these creators for their hard
work. That's why we're announcing the Blades of Avernum Scenario
Design Contest! Design a scenario and submit to Spiderweb Software
by June 1, 2005, and you can win big prizes:
1st Prize - $500
2nd Prize - $300
3rd Prize - $200
4th-10th Prize - Free copy of a Spiderweb Software game.
To submit a scenario, read the instructions below. Winners will
be announced on September 1, 2005.
- Spiderweb Software, Inc. reserves the right to distribute all
submitted scenarios. For more information, see the Blades of Avernum
Software License. No exceptions allowed.
- The submitted scenario (and extra graphics file) can be at most
3 MB in size (though you may want to read Hints below).
- The scenario may include a custom graphics file, though this
is not necessary.
- Beta testers of Blades of Avernum and employees of Spiderweb
Software, Inc. and their families may not participate.
- Scenarios must be submitted by June 1, 2005
- Prizes will be awarded September 1, 2005
How to Submit your Scenario
With each submission you must include your name, address, e-mail
address, and phone number. These can be included in the Contact
field in your scenario.
By E-mail (preferred)
1) Compress your data with Stuffit Deluxe (Mac) or WinZip (Windows).
Make sure you include a text file with your name, address, etc.
Uncompressed entry or entries which are corrupted in transit will
2) E-mail it as a file attachment to: b l a d e s@ spiderwebsoftware
. com (Note: spaces added to thwart spammers. Remove spaces
for valid email address.)
By US Mail
1) Put your scenario(s) on ONE CD-ROM. Media will not be returned.
We will not accept floppy disks.
2) Mail it to: Spiderweb Software, Inc. (attn: Scenario Contest),
PO Box 85659, Seattle, WA 98145-1659
- When designing a scenario, style and interest is the key. One
well-designed dungeon level, with dialogue and interesting special
encounters, counts more than 100 dull cookie cutter levels with
monsters, treasure, and nothing else. A winning scenario must
have special encounters, dialogue, and a reasonably interesting
- A scenario which still contains Warrior's Grove probably won't
do too well. Similarly, a scenario that is just a port of a Blades
of Exile scenario will have a very hard time of it.
- Do not send modified versions of the scenarios that come with
Blades of Avernum.
- Proficiency with scripting will be necessary to create a winning
scenario. Innovative terrain and creature scripts are a very good
- Size is important, but creativity is more so. A 5 level, really
interesting dungeon will do better than a scenario with 20 towns
and dungeons, most of which are dull. However, a really well put
together and plotted scenario with 20 towns and dungeon levels
will stomp them both. Also, a scenario with only one or two towns
or dungeon levels probably won't do well, no matter how clever
- Needless to say, a scenario with explicit sexual content or
heavy obscenity has no chance of winning.